Download our free 5 page vaginal dryness guide
Vaginal Dryness, also known as vaginal atrophy or atrophic vaginitis, is a common and distressing condition which can affect women at any stage of their adult life, causing embarrassment, a sense of loss and, at times, extreme physical discomfort. Approximately 80% of women will experience vaginal dryness due to hormonal changes at some point in their lives.
A comfortable, naturally moist vagina which responds to sexual arousal with a surge of vaginal lubrication, can feel like a woman’s birth right. The loss of this, temporarily or otherwise, can come as a shock, and be capable of undermining a woman’s sense of her innate womanliness and desirability.
If you’d like to know more, download our complete guide on vaginal dryness by filling in the form on this page. You’ll receive a link to download a pdf file which contains all the information you need about the causes, symptoms and possible treatments for vaginal dryness.
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
Vaginal tissue is kept elastic, comfortable and moist by lubrication which is created by glands at the neck of the womb and governed by the body’s production of estrogen. When the ovaries’ production of estrogen is disrupted, which can happen for a number of reasons, the change in lubrication can make the vagina feel itchy, dry and irritated.
The most common cause of a decrease in estrogen levels is the menopause. During this period, the body decreases its production of estrogen, leading to thinner vaginal tissue and fewer lubricating glands. However, menopause is not the only cause of vaginal dryness. There are a number of possible reasons which can affect hormone production:
- Life events such as childbirth and breastfeeding
- Hormone treatments such as HRT and contraceptives
- Illness such as cancer and its treatments
- Medications such as anti-depressants and hay-fever remedies
- Reaction to substances such as nicotine and alcohol
- Intolerance to preparations used in the vulvar area such as douches and harsh soaps
- Deep emotional upsets.
What are the Symptoms of Vaginal Dryness?
Vaginal dryness can be identified by various symptoms:
- Dryness, burning, stinging, swelling, chaffing and bleeding
- Discomfort if the vulva is inflamed and sore
- Pain when you have sex (e.g. dyspareunia)
- Infection and discharge may be experienced. The normal vaginal mucus, acidity and tissue elasticity protect against vaginal and urinary tract infections. When these are reduced, so are the natural defences, and infection meets less resistance. If you feel you have an infection, like bacterial vaginosis, please seek medical advice
- Itching provokes scratching, which aggravates the itching, which leads to more furious scratching – or to the intolerable effort of not scratching. The sensitive skin around the vulva when weakened is prone to damage, inflammation and itching.
Natural Treatment & Remedy for Vaginal Dryness
If enough lubrication is not being naturally produced by a woman’s own body, she can ease the dryness and relieve the discomfort with the use of a commercially available water-based intimate lubricantorvaginal moisturiser. Certified organic YES WB water-based personal lubricant andYES VM vaginal moisturiser offer superior moisturising power and purity, are soothing, kind and rapidly effective. Guaranteed pure and natural by their certified organic status, they both offer instant relief from itching and soreness. Their differing formulations offer you choice depending on your needs. Both YES VM and YES WB protect, hydrate, moisturise and lubricate sensitive tissues naturally.
Choosing Between YES WB & YES VM to Treat Vaginal Dryness
Other Treatments for Vaginal Dryness
Many other available treatments / lubricants / douches are not ideal to treat vaginal dryness:
- They have sugar (glycerins) in them which can feed and exacerbate candida and yeast infections.
- They are seldom the correct pH for compatibility with the mucus membranes of the vagina, making it susceptible to infection and irritation
- They can work hormonally, which is not always desirable, particularly for women with hormonally sensitive conditions.
- They have silicone ingredients which coat the surface of the irritated skin in a “cling film” effect which can inhibit healing and the absorption of water.
Some complementary therapies such as acupuncture may help. Wild Yam extract, black cohosh and soy isoflavones are also promoted as aids in vaginal dryness and the avoidance of douches, bubble baths and lotions is recommended. Do consult your doctor if you experience painful or persistent symptoms.
Why should I use YES?
- YES WB & YES VM both provide soothing relief from burning, irritation and discomfort.
- All YES products are formulated with ingredients that have proven track records as skin foods, so you can trust that your delicate tissues will be treated tenderly.
- YES WB & YES VM are both suitable for use as an intimate moisturiser and sexual lubricant.
- YES WB & YES VM are both pH balanced to restore and maintain the typical, slightly acidic, vaginal environment. This ensures you retain your natural protection against thrush.
- YES WB & YES VM are both hormone and paraben free.
- All YES products are free from all known skin irritants: certified organic and hypoallergenic.
- YES WB & VM are recommended by a wide range of healthcare professionals and are available on NHS prescription (YES WB is available on the NHS as YES water-based vaginal lubricant).
- Check our 100% satisfaction guarantee policy
- See how YES WB & YES VM have changed our customers’ worlds from the inside
“I am 55 years old, have had a hysterectomy, have no ovaries and have vaginal atrophy /dryness. It has been a distressing problem, feeling so sore everyday. My doctor prescribed steroid cream and Sylk both of which burned and made no improvement. I also tried Replens and coconut and olive oil nothing helped. Feeling desperate I found Yes online, telephoned and spoke to a lovely lady called Lynn who listened and helped me choose water based applicators and oil base in a tube. My products arrived two days later. I use water based twice a day, half an applicator each time internally and also oil based multiple times on vulva area. This has helped me feel comfortable for the first time in years. Don’t suffer ladies, try Yes. You will be amazed at how much it helps.”
Mrs J, Gloucestershire, UK
“Simply a wonderful product which has made my life bearable! I was experiencing pain due to dryness even whilst sitting in certain positions during the day. Thanks to all involved in the development of this product.”
“Life saver! Every other product which I had tried would aggravate dermatitis and I would be back to square one. Since removing soap from my daily routine and replacing it with oil based cleansers, only wearing cotton pants and using Yes products, the oil based is the best for me, I have a healthy vulval area and a rewarding sex life at 60 years of age!”
“I absolutely love this product! It is the only lubricant i use for about 6 years and it is truly the best, one of a kind, nothing else like it, outstanding product. So blessed to have found it! It feels like my own mucus and there is never any reaction, irritation or strange tacky feeling. I feel safe using this product and I will use it for the rest of my life. It is really a treasure!”
“I’ve tried everything for vaginal dryness. I don’t want to rely on hormone. I’ve been using your product and it is wonderful!”
Mrs Jenkins, CA, USA
“I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am that your Yes! range exists – not only are they a godsend for someone who cares about her body and what she puts on/into it and finds the whole collection of commercial lubes a bit of a turn-off (not the best reaction when in the bedroom..) but because they are of such superior (and environmentally friendly! YES!) quality. Changing my world from the inside out indeed!”
Lylla (Slighly mad-about-organi-lube Yes! customer), Bath, UK